Monday, December 7, 2009

Internet was down yesterday

But I was bored, so I wrote a blog post. Here ya go.

I have less than two weeks left in Ireland. For some reason, two weeks seems like a huge milestone. Fifteen days is a lengthy span of time, but thirteen days is hardly any time at all. Two weeks today I'll be heading up to Chicago (which I'm really looking forward to).
I've got quite a bit of work to do in the meantime. A computer program or two, some math worksheets, and two essays with six thousand words between them. Obviously, the essays are the greater part of the work to do. Apart from that, I have one single exam to take the last week.

I'll leave the better part of my ruminations on leaving Ireland for next week. This week, I'll speak of America - land of the free and such. Here's the top five things I miss most about the good ol' US of A.
1) Chipotle. You have no idea how much I crave this. I think I could eat it three times a day for a month.
2) Peanut Butter. Ireland has peanut butter in the same way America has Guinness - a pale imitation of what it should be. A proper PB & J is next on my "To Eat" list.
3) Snow. It's not cold enough in Ireland to get snow. Chirstmastime doesn't feel the same without snow at some point.
4) Friends and family and what not.
5) Cheap alcohol. A tray of Budweiser (18 500ml cans) costs 28 Euros (roughly 42 real dollars), whereas a case back home (24 330 ml cans) is less than 17 dollars.. A pint in a pub is six real dollars if you're lucky.

Don't feel bad, friends and family. You managed to beat out cheap booze.

I've received some housing information for Dayton next semester. I'll be staying with international students in Gardens Apartments on Stewart. I really liked the little cultural exchanges that occurred between my flatmates and I this semester and I'll try to continue that.

Happy St. Nicholas Day to all. Despite the lack of snow, I am full-out in the holiday spirit and very much looking forward to Christmas. I was promised a pumpkin pie to myself since I wasn't able to have any for Thanksgiving.

Before we depart for the semester, I promised Arlette a list of things she should do when she and her husband visit America. I've compiled a list, but I want to know if you guys can think of anything they need to do, eat, visit, or try in order to truly experience America. The less region-specific, the better.
- Visit Cedar Point (a little region-specific, but they are huge roller coaster fans).
- Eat at Chipotle.
- Eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Use Reduced Fat JIF brand peanut butter.
- Eat BBQ chicken wings, funnel cake, chocolate peanut butter pie, pumpkin pie, crab cakes, and an alfredo pasta dish.
- Dunk Oreos in milk.
- Root against the New York Yankees.
- Eat Twinkies, possibly deep-fried.
- Don't go to New Jersey.
- Go to a baseball, football, or basketball game. Attend the tailgate, if it's a football game.
- Good beers: Arrogant Bastard Ale, Honker's Island, Mad Anthony's, Yuengling
- Go camping. Eat S'mores.
- Go to a drive-in movie theater.

5 comments:

  1. Mosh --

    A proper PB&J is never made with reduced fat peanut butter. Extra Crunchy Jif is the only peanut butter worth the name.

    Family members who are ranked after Chipotle and peanut butter are not inclined to provide pumpkin pies at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect I belong to the "whatnot" of friends and family but I'll be grateful for my station in life! We have a Chipotle in the new Eddy Commons
    so your friends can experience it there plus see Notre Dame. Eddy Commons is a block down the street from where my family home used to be.

    No matter how you feel, we are glad you'll be back in the fold. All if forgiven.

    Love,

    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually haven't had good ol chipotle for a while either, josh.

    at any rate, we haven't had much snow here (cbus) yet either, so don't feel like you're missing out.

    see you in a couple weeks!

    ps the cheap alcohol will be flowing ;)

    skursh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Josh,
    Struggling over what to get you for Christmas and it came to me: Chipotle gift cards!
    As for things to do for Arlette and her husband: so much is regional and seasonal dependent! Glass museums in Toledo and Corning, exploring the different state and national parks, finding the local food (which may originally have come from Europe)
    We are all looking forward to seeing and hearing you in ten days!
    Love
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) Creamy peanut butter for the win.

    2) Chipotle is amazing.

    I've got many stories for when I get back.

    ReplyDelete