Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The weather's gone bad...

It's been a pretty exciting week for me across the pond. The unnaturally good weather we had the first day continued until a few days ago. I actually was able to work on my tan here in Ireland - who'd have thought? We've spent the days outside as much as possible, walking along the canal or going to the Dublin Zoo.
The Dublin Zoo, in particular, was very nice (it was warm enough to wear shorts that day, honestly.) We got to see the penguins get fed, baby giraffes, and a pair of hippos charge a duck that dared to swim in their pond. (The duck escaped safely.) After the zoo trip, we walked into town and had a delicious dinner (suki yaki) at some Asian restaurant.
However, the weather's taken a turn for the worse. Or rather, a turn towards normality. It is once again cloudy and rainy and everything I've come to expect from Ireland. Most of yesterday was spent making falafel, which turned out much better than expected. It tasted delicious, but the texture wasn't quite what good falafel ought to be.
Today was spent meeting Emer's parents (dad and step-mother) up in Blessington. They were very nice people, feeding me and serving lots of tea. I think I had six or seven cups this afternoon. We took a walk along beautiful Lake Blessington and I enjoyed the views offered by the country roads. Blessington is right next to the Dublin Mountains, so the landscapes and scenery offered was choice. After our lakeside walk, we stopped back to her folks for dinner (and more tea). I got along famously with her family, or at least the part I've met so far.
Another day, another delicious meal. I've been eating too much here :)

1 comment:

  1. I hope when at the zoo you didn't tell Emer of your remark about the elephants' wrinkles when viewing them at the Cleveland Zoo. If I recall correctly, you compared the elephants' skin to mine to the delight of the crowd. Like an elephant, I never forget.

    Nana

    ReplyDelete